Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Belgian aerobiological surveillance network ...

I was impressed.

The Belgian pollen and spore monitoring network was created in 1974. Its main objective is to give rapid information about these allergens to practitioners, pharmaceutical companies and allergic sufferers. These data will help determine a diagnosis and the eviction of high risk periods.

Their message of the day ... Birch pollen trees are in full bloom and are releasing huge densities of pollen.

People sensitized to birch pollen have to be very careful now. They should follow their practitioner's recommendations.

Some people sensitized to birch pollen are also allergic to certain raw fruits like apples, kiwis, hazelnuts

2 comments:

christina said...

Hmm, I have my own built-in spore monitoring device and yes, it is telling me (as I rub my itchy eyes and blow my nose) that birch trees are indeed in full bloom right about now.

I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic to Kiwis, though. :-)

Di Mackey said...

Lol ... good news about the kiwis. I can't imagine anyone being allergic to such sweet creatures.

Good luck with the hay fever though ... it's nasty, isn't it.