Saturday, July 21, 2007

Then ...

wanting to know who belonged to the voice I had loved since hearing it on Desert Rose, I searched further, as you do, and found Cheb Mami.

According to Wikipedia, Cheb Mami (Arabic:شاب مامي), real name Ahmed Khelifati Mohamed is an Algerian-born raï singer. He sings in both Maghribi Arabic and French. told me that Rai music comes from Algeria. It is pronounced "rye" or "rah-AY" and translates as "opinion". Rai music began in the early 1900s as a combination of popular music and traditional Bedouin desert music.


Roam To Rome... said...

Uf! I loved this song!

At the University of California, my persian friends though they speak farsi, also listened to arabian music and my first song was

Egypt's Amr Diab!!

And that's how I was introduced to music that mix several languages for the sake of rhythm! :)

OJOS ASI by SHAKIRA..Spanish/Arabic

"Nari Narien" ...Arabic/Hindi
"Aicha" by Cheb Khaled French/Arabic

I'm very multi-lingual and I love rythm!, so this post really caught my attention :)

Very pretty, thanx! :)

womanwandering said...

Hey, thanks for all the links :) I spent far too long just searching for 'Rai' on youtube, knowing I wanted more of a particular kind of music but lacking any kind of knowledge of who was good and etc ...