Wednesday, February 04, 2009

May Sarton, Journal of a Soitude

I was having a low day here in the low lands when the postman rang downstairs and delivered a parcel full of delicious things.

Best of all, my book has arrived.

Begin here. It is raining. I look out on the maple, where a few leaves have turned yellow, and listen to Punch, the parrot, talking to himself and to the rain ticking gently against the windows. I am here alone for the first time in weeks, to take up my 'real' life again at last. That is what is strange - that friends, even passionate love, are not my real life unless there is time alone in which to explore and to discover what is happening or has happened. Without the interruptions, nourishing and maddening, this life would become arid. Yet I taste it fully only when I am alone here and 'the house and I resume old conversations'.

Those who know the reality of my life, know why this might appeal to me, so reading will be my way out of the sadness today.

6 comments:

Lydia said...

You've begun reading (or maybe have completed it by now) one of the best books I've ever read. May Sarton is amazing.

I think possibly my favorite thing in life is solitude.

I hope your sadness gives way to renewal, Di.

paris parfait said...

I love that book. I think the reason it resonates with so many women is that not often enough do we have the solitude we need and crave - a quiet space to sort out what's going on in our lives; to think; to just be, without other people's expectations and demands encroaching upon us. I'm glad you're reading it and already enjoying it. xo

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

...'the house and I resume old conversations' ... I've lived in this house for only three months so the conversation is just beginning, but I like how it is unfolding. This place embraces me, even when others are here, which feels very nice. the solitude I experience here is so expansive ... I will take your cue and add some May Sarton to the mix:)

Di Mackey said...

Only 'begun reading', Lydia :) I had a lot to do today but I'm on the trams and trains tomorrow, to and from work, it will be delicious to be travelling with May.

And thank you.

Oh ... solitude. I suspect I'll have to just run away again soon. It's as May writes, 'without the interruptions, nourishing and maddening, this life would become arid.' I guess it's about finding a balance, or finding a room of ones own to disappear to occasionally. xx

I live in my husband's apartment in his country and I haven't quite found my place to curl up nor do I have conversations with this place. I have begun searching for a house ...

I'll be curious to know what you think of May, Barbara.

Jessica said...

This better not have jumped to the top of your reading pile -_- Promises were made, books were purchased...

Di Mackey said...

:) Jessica, my everyday life is a mess, I work one day per week at an NGO and yesterday I picked up 3 days worth of work. My new website is needing work to fill it, my photography business needs more attention and my family life is huge. I can't remember which book I promised to read. Can you remind me?

Thanks.