Sunday, December 16, 2007

December in Europe

We're off to explore a Christmas Market located in caves over in Holland tomorrow ...

The most fascinating feature of this pretty town is the maze of underground corridors both under the town itself and the surrounding area. From Roman times, the soft yellow marlstone has been mined resulting in over 250km of passageways and caves. During World War Two, the caves sheltered such Dutch masterpieces as Rembrandt’s The Night Watch and other treasures that were hidden away from the Nazis.

More when we return.

2 comments:

furiousBall said...

please take lots of pics. say howdy to V-Grrrl for me

Di Mackey said...

So I did take lots of pics but not as many as I should have, furiousball. I got a little unhappy about middle of the cave system, I'm a kiwi, I come from the land of big earthquakes - underground isn't my favourite place to be but it passed.

And I said howdy to v-grrrl from you and we talked of furiousball some :)