Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Togs or Undies??

Marrying a European means that the topic of togs (swimming gear New Zealand style) versus underpants or underwear (= undies in New Zealand speak) has become a huge topic of conversation in our Euro/New Zealand apartment, with me telling Gert 'There's no way that you can wear your Speedo's in New Zealand.

This ad had Gert and I giggling, thanks to Mark for the link.

New Zealand Icecream company, Tip Top, in their television commercial, “Undies”, help simplify the answer to the question, “When does a speedo become underwear?” All in the name of the Tip Top Trumpet , icecream served up in a waffle cone.

The advertisement features a male bather walking from the beach into the city and back again, testing a vital question facing many New Zealanders. As he does so, a voiceover gives us the clues we need…

7 comments:

jedateach said...

Oh lord, yes, you can't wear Speedo's in NZ, its all about the togs, board shorts usually. Only unaware tourists, iron-men/bodyguards, dirty old men & unaware children wear Speedos in NZ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Lx2ihpGbc I think you'll find this youtube ad sums it up nicely.

hah, I realised if Im logged into my gmail it does the name thing automatically.

jedateach said...

ok whoops, that video didn't load for me haha. Sorry :(

Di Mackey said...

Yes indeed Jon. Sahara came over to see what 'Jom' had sent :) and we giggled over the ad

Anonymous said...

Oh this started my day off just right! I'll be giggling about "underwear transformation area" all day.

ren powell said...

Fantastic- (and what a weird coincidence- but I won't go there)
thanks for the giggle.

Anonymous said...

You kiwis are a modest bunch. So's my man. Though I try to convince him he totally rocks the Speedo, he insists on the voluminous American swim trunks.

Di Mackey said...

I had to share once viewed, Laura ...

Oh ren.kat, the coincidence... anyway giggles have to be shared.

Trust you v-grrrl, I think that almost made me giggle more than the youtube, just imagining you trying to talk Eric into a pair of Speedos.