Friday, September 28, 2007

Change of plans ... regarding the exciting photography job

So first there were 8 in the house ... 7 New Zealanders and Gert, then there were 5 as the three 19 year olds have headed for Amsterdam, although not before an impromptu photo sitting with Di Mackey Photography.

Dropped the photography session with the rather superb New Zealand singer as things changed ... such is life as a freelance photographer. Never-the-mind.

Meanwhile our remaining guests are out on Flanders Fields today, via the tram and two trains on their way to Ieper. It's the first time we haven't had guests stay over a weekend and so we couldn't drive them there. Anyway, I was really impressed by the extended tour this company was offering - curious to here how it went tonight.

Since that first 24 hours there have been no more 'missing in action' type events and we feel confident they'll be home for Turkish food and Belgian beer tonight. I picked out a selection of my favourite beers for them this morning.

My favourites?
Hmmmmm, if I must drink beer then Duvel is my favourite and surprisingly enough, it has 8.5% alcohol content. A little tricky if you don't note that fact the first time you have it. Then there's the Rodenbach with it's slightly sour apple taste. All guests are always offered the cherry beer called Kriek and the Framboise or Raspberry beer. And finally an abbey beer called Leffe.

That's more than enough, as it's only a tasting and our guests don't drink very often.

I had to postpone my volunteer work today. I was photographing an African group but little Miss 3 has had a relapse of her cough and fever and my daughter doesn't return from her travels till tonight.

Tomorrow is action-packed ... photography, the foreigners market, Middelheim open-air sculpture park and then a sad farewell to the last of the kiwis as they head off to Amsterdam.

Tuesday and I'm back in Brussels airport picking up an old and treasured friend from New Zealand ...

So yes, alles goed in the flatland of Belgie.

No comments: