Sunday, September 30, 2007

Getting busy ...

I start work next week and I'm a little bit stressed. The world is going on without comment from me, writes she who is researching all that she needs to know about life directly related to the tasks in front of her.

I'm not sure that I'll be around much before mid-October but we'll see. Perhaps I'll find the time and wifi connection. Political or news researched comment will be thin on the ground, apologies to those annoyed with me for failing to comment on Burma.

I went searching, to catch up on the news and found this rather good article in the New York Times.

It opens with AS they marched through the streets of Myanmar’s cities last week leading the biggest antigovernment protests in two decades, some barefoot monks held their begging bowls before them. But instead of asking for their daily donations of food, they held the bowls upside down, the black lacquer surfaces reflecting the light.

It was a shocking image in the devoutly Buddhist nation. The monks were refusing to receive alms from the military rulers and their families — effectively excommunicating them from the religion that is at the core of Burmese culture.

That gesture is a key to understanding the power of the rebellion that shook Myanmar last week.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

The sight of all the monks in the streets has moved me tremendously.

I hope I'd have such courage and conviction in similar circumstances. I pray for them.

Di Mackey said...

I'm delighted that someone has chosen to protest this way, and the more I read, the more I am curious to see how this ends ... or, even better, if it's some kind of new beginning.

We wouldn't be able to help ourselves, would we ... in terms of having the same courage and convictions in the same postition?

I don't know ...