Friday, July 07, 2006

A little wandering ...

So, we began the journey with lunch in Vianden, Luxembourg - filling the car with the cheaper Luxembourg petrol (1.24euro per litre versus 1.43euro here in Belgium).

Fuelled we headed for Strasbourg.

After a night in a place best not written about we ate breakfast outdoors in an old Strasbourgian square near 'the' cathedral where our travelling companions, Mary Lou and Al, exchanged birthday gifts. A delicious moment that was...

Shannon and Gabe had recommended this place unfortunately it was full however we did drive out and visit Haute Koeningsbourg (also recommended by them) ... a rather stunning castle not too far from Strasbourg.

Hmmmm, we spent the next night in Kenzingen Germany where we experienced impressive amounts of German hospitality and a breakfast to die for. ML's birthday was appropriately celebrated, we sang Happy Birthday accompanied by both the staff of the B&B and the Dutch guests at the next table ... nothing quite like a birthday to unite many nations.

The next day found us wandering around Baden Baden with me proudly sporting a suntan. I feasted on raw herring (maatjes) and onions in bread, the others went for less stunning foods before travelling on into Heidelberg ...

I never knew Germany was so pretty. I do believe Heidelberg is now up there on my top 5 favourite cities list ... I'd like to go back with more time.

We wandered in Schloss Heidelberg this morning ... a rather stunning castle up on a hill above the city. It's ruined but so very photogenic writes the chick who is still using film. Films to be developed at some future date ...

Somehow, despite crossing borders (more than we needed to cross due to needing to avoid the Tour de France), and travelling so far in so few days, we kept things quite leisurely.

Lunchtime today and we were wandering the picturesque streets of Ruedesheim, eating schnitzel, tasting German red wines and searching for the wine jug I knew my father would laugh about ... Trinkt wie eure vater den wein aus stein.

We travelled home via the rather stunning Rhine Valley (who knew Europe had Nature, whispers the ignorant princess from the South Pacific).

Rain fell as we crossed into the Netherlands and then bucketed down as we sprinted into an Antwerpen supermarket ... 'Welcome to Belgie' it seemed to be saying.

Tonight is all about unpacking washing repacking and getting ready for Amsterdam in the morning. Al flies out to the States from there early Sunday, leaving ML with us for another week of wandering Europe ... many adventures to follow.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Isn't Heidelberg just a delight? We were there last winter and had a lovely time...

Di Mackey said...

Hi Pam, and YES, Heidelberg is kind of delicious.

I'm too tired to be writing it up but needed to get it out of me before 2 days in Amsterdam. Your comment left me hopeful that I made sense ... at some level :)

Kay Cooke said...

I'm loving travelling viscerally with you!

Alison said...

Your journeys sound fantastic. Isn't it great to have guests to show around Europe (especially the parts you haven't yet seen yourself!)

Anonymous said...

I had a delightful time at the Heidelberg schloss last year in June. Anyway, I'm close on your heels (almost) from tomorrow: I'm leaving for Munich. Look forward to reading your adventures in the meantime!

Unknown said...

Beautifull, absolutely gorgeous!

Di Mackey said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it chiefbiscuit, I do worry I've written it up tired. :)

Hi Alison, and yes, it's been great fun showing ML and Al around while checking out places for the first time. I adored Heidelberg, am still wishing I was back there today.

Munich, I do hope you write it up shashikiran, I've only been in the airport there but Germany impressed me more than I expected.

Glad you're enjoying it doberman. :)