Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Kiwi and the Belgian

I was thinking about the ways in which I have changed since moving to Belgium.

When I mentioned the 'learn how to run' course, Gert said 'Okay, we'll find running shoes on Saturday'. Me ... I might have once said, 'Running shoes, I don't have any ... what a pity, I can't do the course'.

So ... today we went out and found me some running shoes courtesy of the big winter sale at decathlon My goodness, the sales in Belgium are truly superb.

And I realised that now, I too always have a packet of tissues in my coat pocket, a habit of Gert's that I've absorbed. I put the butter into the butter container, and follow instructions regarding the use of the washing machine ... 3 different detergents and varying temps for varying loads.

My research work goes into big files with named dividers that Gert gave to me, and my hard drive has finally been backed up on disk ... to all those who lectured me over the years, fear not, it is done.

In Turkey, he liked to hold hands in public ... in outraged tones I had to explain I was a Kiwi and we didn't do Public Displays of Affection... he had changed that before he went home.

And food ... there are some odd customs in his world, but I now eat chicken with applesauce, no longer complain about mashed potato and spinach, or mashed potatoes and carrot ... yes, both together, in the same dish, and I drink tonic water as a refreshing drink.

I have a diary with appointment pages ... in German, but it works after all I'm becoming multi-lingual these days. ;)

As for Gert ... ahhh well, I am the complete ruination of him. He now has tomato sauce (ketchup) with his sausages, he enjoys my herb-stuffed roast chicken and thick gravy, and drinks more red wine than he used to.

He has to defend his beliefs and the ideas of his political party, and I have to study this European history of politics however this never stops me from being completely outrageous in argument.

He doesn't want a dog, and okay ... I don't want the ties but it is fun to tease him about needing one. I introduced him to Eastenders, oddly enough it's an addiction I developed while living in Istanbul, and now we sit down together when we can, watching as D... well, we're up with England, I better not ruin it all for the Kiwis, only to say that it's been fraught in recent weeks.

He's curious about rugby, but not yet convinced that it's better than football; he understands nothing of cricket, and I think his road rules lack credibility. He won't touch Vegemite, despite me eating Hutsepot ... hmmm, that needs addressed.

He's a proper grown-up, and I'm still 'in process', but do you know, it's working despite spending most of our lives 20,000 kilometres apart.

Anyway, barring illness, it's all happening Monday ...

No comments: