Tuesday, January 02, 2007

An update ... okay manic, something for you to read, as per your instructions.

It seems that this flu has emptied me, although my mind is slowly returning to life and I'm not sleeping away huge parts of the day.

Gert's parents came over today, bringing supplies and leftovers from the feast we missed yesterday. We, the feverish coughing creatures, were pathetically grateful.

I'm in the middle of a bit of a downer, missing home and etc ... as you do during Christmas and after being ill. It's normal, I'm sure of it.

Hmmm good news ... well, we did download some Spanish recipes just before lunch, and we are planning a mission that involves Gert driving me to the supermarket and me leaping inside to purchase ingredients so we can cook something Spanish tonight. I have been seeing hopeful signs of return to normal life in craving those huge Spanish meat lunches that filled me until breakfast the following day.

And although red wine accompanying those stunning lunches is part of the vision, I have no desire for any as yet ... I guess wanting wine will be the indicator of a full return to health.

I cancelled the dentist this morning ... obviously this wasn't a difficult cancellation, unlike the previous two photography sessions with the superb people at PINA.

Hmmmm and my eyebrows were to be reshaped tomorrow but I don't think I dare take this cough there ... My beautician caught the strange stomach bug I had after the party ... the stomach bug that wasn't a hangover.

I felt quite guilty about that one, I'll cancel that now ...

I did read my way through some blogs today. It was good to catch up on those worlds and be smiling over all kinds of news.

Sal wrote a delicious post about Christmas with his family and Paris Parfait had her daughter with her over Christmas but found time for serious news too. Doberman has a new Canon EOS 400D which can do nothing but bring him a million hours of happiness in the year ahead. Erkan soldiers on, mixing serious news with youtube humour , opening the world for people like me.

Manic bowed out, citing exam pressure, v-grrl wrote of her Christmas - creating warm images of family. Lisa named her Christmas turkey, making me laugh as usual.

There's more reading to do, I'm way behind but in a way, the long break from serious blogging has left me with a treasure trove of stories to catch up on.

Erkan challenged me to post my new year's resolutions but I'm thinking serious thoughts about them and need time to be sure that they're do-able.

My photography website needs a little more tweaking then it's done, I have to find an accountant and then start work on advertising ... serious resolutions are surely called for this year.

Voila Manic, now back to your studying ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I am sorry you're feeling sick and homesick too - I hope that you get wel soon and that you can make a trip back 'home' sometime in 2007 - I'm looking forward to meeting you! BTW you do NOT want to be here right now the weather is cruddy!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved it. Red wine as an indicator of health, I can live with that :D. You weren't the only one ill, I know tons of people who had a nasty illnes and had to cancel all there New Year plans. Hot winters = sick people. Give me some bitter Russian cold with some snow on the side.

Have a nice Spanish dinner tonight!

Back to that English grammar you never had. :(

Alison said...

Man all those holiday posts and I'm chopped liver :P Glad to hear you're feeling like food again. Spanish is a great way to start :)

Anonymous said...

Apologies! I forgot to say get well soon and wonderful photography :) There was a terrible bug in NZ this winter.. lasted for months and just when you thought you were better whammo you were back in the bed!
I got so caught up in Riverbends post.. its horrible to hear the reality of it all from a person who is in the middle of it. We are so lucky here in NZ
You can find info on the grandmothers stories www.whispersofwaitaha.co.nz
We are still working on our website for the childrens stories..
Anyway get better and drink some wine :O)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. I've really missed reading your news and of course, the eye candy. :) Spain is incredible. Makes me want to pick it up and put it in my pocket. We've got to go there before long. I wonder if they speak English much... neither G nor I know any Spanish.

Di Mackey said...

Happy new year to you too chiefbiscuit :) I'm sorry I'm sick too and sorry for blogging it but it was all that was happening for a wee while there ...

And oh yes, 2007 has to be home time. It will be lovely to catch up with you when I get there. I'm trying to ignore NZ's weather as I may have portrayed home as something like paradise ... cold weather in summer might detract from the illusion a little ;)

Well, surely red wine is the indicator manic lol. I had a quiet glass of wine with dinner and then almost coughed all of my internal organs out ... it might have been a tad soon eh.

When I was in the supermarket I noticed a lot of coughing and sniffing ... so warm winter - sick people, oh wise one?

The dinner was nice, dank u wel ... and couldn't help snorting with laughter over your English grammar comment ...

Spanish is a way to begin and go on, Alison. It's such fine food and thank goodness for internet magic, I found so many recipes online ... now to buy that sherry for the steak.

Thanks Tanya :) Depressing to read of the bug in NZ. Last heard from, my sister had it but she's since disappeared into the mists of time and I have no idea if she's well or not.

Riverbend is an interesting source, isn't she. Thanks for the link to grandmothers stories info.

I tried the wine last night, seems to have been a little too soon. Will proceed with caution lol.

Ohhhhhhhhhh Lisa, Spain is incredible ... stunning after the 'sometimes' grey Belgian skies ... the skies there were this stunning blue ... every-single-day!

Apparently there is English in Barcelona and Madrid, and probably other places too but you know, they are so kind that leaving the country we had fun buying food, using the internet and etc. Learn some basic Spanish before you go, it's worth it though.

Lovely lovely lovely country!