Monday, January 01, 2007

I was fortunate, I was ill enough to ignore Saddam's execution ... fortunate because I don't agree with executions and couldn't think of any other world leaders who had recently been executed.

Something seemed 'off' in this instance.

I went searching and found Riverbend's take on the event. Titled the lynching , it gives one Iraqi's point of view ... from a woman whose voice has been twice honoured by the 'west' as a voice telling a truth.

I read on down through her preceding post ... End of another year post:

You know your country is in trouble when:
and sixth on her list was Your country is purportedly 'selling' 2 million barrels of oil a day, but you are standing in line for 4 hours for black market gasoline for the generator.

And as usual, the end of her post devastated me ...

Why?
Because she continues to lose hope and she's a valuable barometer of events in Iraq ... an intelligent, well-educated rational woman who is changing in front of my eyes ... whenever I dare to go over and read her ... 3000 Americans dead over nearly four years? Really? That's the number of dead Iraqis in less than a month.

Is the American soldier that died today in Anbar more important than a cousin I have who was shot last month on the night of his engagement to a woman he's wanted to marry for the last six years?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there and Happy New Year!!!

I'm anxious to get back to school, mostly because I have Irakian class-mate. I do like to hear his thoughts about the Saddam execution and where he thinks the country is going to. He did give an interview for the Finnish channel 4 news, but it was just brief bit and I know he has a lot to say.

Btw, I got myself a Canon EOS 400d for christmas. I'm still waiting for it since on christmas eve they were selling it on sale price with free delivery. It's the "Kit" with the lense. I can't wait! It should arrive tomorrow. :D

Anonymous said...

First - Happy New Year from Nz :)
I havent been to visit much as I am publishing the grandmothers children's stories, ancient legends of my ancestors of Waitaha. Their stories date back to the beginning of time, they were a tribe of mixed races that lived together in peace and harmony with each other and their environment. I think that this is a time when these stories are needed - especially for the children as they are the hope of the future.
Im going to follow the link now and continue reading..

Anonymous said...

She makes some important points. I too think there were plenty of things wrong with the execution and wrote a piece about it Your photos from Spain are wonderful! I think it's one of the most photographic places I've ever seen - everywhere you look, there's something beautiful waiting to be photographed. Hope you and Gert are both feeling better today.

Di Mackey said...

Happy New Year to you too Doberman!!!

I haven't been over your way lately, Spain and flus have kept me quiet but I wish you all the best in the new year. It will be interesting to read what your Iraqi classmate has to say

CONGRATULATIONS on the Canon EOS 400D - I'm sure you'll have no regrets about it. Enjoy ... oh what am I saying, 2007 will be a better year for having yourself a wee Canon ;)

Thanks Tanya ... how I missed Christmas and New Year in NZ this year! I've been away too long and it feels strange doing it all in a Euro winter.

I would love to know more about your stories!!! and can only agree that there is a need for the stories today. Hmmm, I'll follow the link back to your blog :)

Hi Paris, I read your piece on the execution and still decided not to blog it. The whole thing was too depressing to think about but then I read Riverbend, and I'm always compelled to pass Riverbend on ... urg, so much for trying not to post political stuff. Lol, I'll never be able to avoid it, will I.

I loved your photographs from Spain too ... they turned me green with envy actually, even while I knew you more than deserved it. Then I was there and found it a heavenly country. Their aesthetics stun me ... so beautiful. I would like to wander and wander through Spain ... let's see what's possible :)