Tuesday, January 23, 2007

3rd Culture Kids

What is a third culture kid ?

"An individual who, having spent a significant part of the developmental years in a culture other than the parents' culture, develops a sense of relationship to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Elements from each culture are incorporated into the life experience, but the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of similar experience."
-- David C. Pollock

An interesting subject that I first read of over on beyond the desert .

You can read more, if curious, over on Among Worlds Magazine .

It struck a chord, not because I was a child who lived everywhere but because I have moved constantly since turning 20 ... and while I love New Zealand and have that place as the place where my roots went deep into the land, I also fell in love with living in Istanbul, and related to Italy and Spain as places I would love to live for a while ... perhaps.

Who knows.

No comments: