Sunday, July 29, 2007

"When I was very young and the urge to be some place was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch.

When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age.

In middle age I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job.

Nothing has worked. . . In other words, I don't improve, in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable."

John Steinbeck

Erin, over at wandering woman posted this quote and I love it.

I had to note it down here on my blog because I recognise that 'urge to be some place' ... I remember dreaming at 12 of getting my drivers licence because then I could go anywhere. At that point I was relying on my bicycle to take me all over the Taieri Plains of my childhood.

Now I live a million miles from that place and the urge is no less ... probably more because I've realised just how big the world is and that there's so much more to see.

No comments: