Saturday, July 21, 2007

Then ...

wanting to know who belonged to the voice I had loved since hearing it on Desert Rose, I searched further, as you do, and found Cheb Mami.

According to Wikipedia, Cheb Mami (Arabic:شاب مامي), real name Ahmed Khelifati Mohamed is an Algerian-born raï singer. He sings in both Maghribi Arabic and French.

About.com told me that Rai music comes from Algeria. It is pronounced "rye" or "rah-AY" and translates as "opinion". Rai music began in the early 1900s as a combination of popular music and traditional Bedouin desert music.

2 comments:

Roam2Rome said...

Uf! I loved this song!

At the University of California, my persian friends though they speak farsi, also listened to arabian music and my first song was

Egypt's Amr Diab!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iu5IcycUd4

And that's how I was introduced to music that mix several languages for the sake of rhythm! :)

OJOS ASI by SHAKIRA..Spanish/Arabic
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFkW-bReI0c

"Nari Narien" ...Arabic/Hindi www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsSPUi6lNCs
"Aicha" by Cheb Khaled French/Arabic

I'm very multi-lingual and I love rythm!, so this post really caught my attention :)

Very pretty, thanx! :)

Di Mackey said...

Hey, thanks for all the links :) I spent far too long just searching for 'Rai' on youtube, knowing I wanted more of a particular kind of music but lacking any kind of knowledge of who was good and etc ...