Thursday, November 20, 2008

Gaudi's Paint ...

I bought 2 small booklets today, both written by artists working on Sagrada Familia.

Josep Maria Subirachs Guide to the Passion Facade and Joan Vila-Grau on The Stained-Glass Windows.

It was in the book by Josep that I found this beautiful description of the light I found inside the Sagrada Familia this morning.

In a piece titled, The Sun, The Best Painter he wrote: Gaudi is a master of light who knows all the resources needed to create heart-captivating atmosphere, and knows how to cover the windows, if need be, with colour, or how to simply guide the light over pure architectural surfaces.

He ends with a quote from Ignasi Puig Boada: The elements of the windows transform the Church walls with a palpitating light, as if the light, working like water flowing over stone, had dug into the thickness of the walls in a process of slow and polyform erosion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woa, those are some fancy words to go with the breathtaking pics.
...process of slow and polyform erosion...

Di Mackey said...

Thank you for the 'breathtaking' and I loved the words, though ... must blog them.

At first I imagined I would just buy a book on the church/temple itself but I loved reading about 'the artist' and so these books were a must.

What delighted me, and I hope I can find it on the internet, is the way Gaudi apparently always incorporated Nature into his works ... once I knew that, it opened a whole new series of doors for me. Of course, it left me wondering why I was taught barely anything interesting in school.