Tuesday, January 01, 2008


New Year over Antwerpen by Gert..., originally uploaded by - di.

We couldn't resist, we woke little Miss Three so she could see the techni-colour madness that is Antwerp at midnight on New Year's Eve.

Gert went out into the cold with the camera and tripod while we raced from front windows to back windows - taking in the views of the city fireworks in the west, then back for the private displays of fireworks to the east ... actually no, there were private displays of fireworks going up all around us.

Miss Three told us that she had never seen anything like it, in awed tones ... but then that is Antwerp and fireworks. I feel the same ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, fireworks all around, even in my little town. I wonder how it would look from outer space. Must be amazing.

Happy New Year!

Veronica said...

Wish I were in Antwerp for the fireworks. The year went out with a few pops and a whimper in Brussels due to the terror alert.

E-Grrrl cried, remembering the spectacle of years past, knowing this her last New Year's Eve in Belgium for the foreseeable future.

Manic, my husband flew into London on Guy Fawkes Day one year. Quite a vision--the sky exploding in color over the city as the plane circled, waiting for permission to land.

A said...

I had fireworks both inside and outside my house. 24h without power and it's getting real cold overhere.

Great shots btw!

Di Mackey said...

It must Manic :)
Happy new year to you too, all the best in 2008 :)

I read too late that you had lost your fireworks, v-grrrl. You guys should have come stayed over. There's a grand view from our place and we woke the wee curly girl who was stunned by it all.

Inside the house, Peter? Are you okay now?

A said...

Well, the wiring blew in my home...

I made it worse by trying to bypass the security, causing a domino effect that left me in the cold (it's freezing right now), with lots of damage to appliances and wiring that must be replaced.

An emergency electrician (100 EUR !) had a quick look but couldn't do much as lines in the walls have to be replaced.

At present, I'm waiting by the phone for that "we'll be coming over to start working on it" call, but it may take a while, as many business are closed during the 1st week of Jan.

I'm surviving on borrowed AC extension cords and internet,
waiting.

Fireworks can be fun, but not inside a house.

Fortunately, there's some wine left ;-)