Thursday, September 28, 2006

Book meme

I found this meme on paris parfait's blog .

The "rules" are to open the book nearest you to page 123, go to the fifth sentence and post the text of the next three sentences.

The book is 'A Fortune-Teller Told Me' by Tiziano Terzani ... I'm rereading an old favourite after Rob wrote of him recently.

The book opened immediately on page 123 which sent a small delighted shiver down my spine ...

Which is why that particular god of the Taoist Olympus is called Iron Leg Li.

From Penang I had to go to Kuala Lumpur. I could have taken the express train from Butterworth, but that seemed too precipitate, so I decided to work my way slowly down the peninsula.


I'm not sure this gives you more than a small taste of this favourite book of mine but let me copy a little from the back cover: 'Terzani is already something of legend. He is a wonderful journalist. His book is not the self-important tale of a journalist but the progress of a modern, sceptical and emotional pilgrim - and wilful showman ... part autobiography, part journey through the comforting past, the unbearable present and the unwelcoming future, and part prophecy ... He has written magnificently all his life. Never better than now.'
William Shawcross, Literary Review 1998.

No comments: