Saturday, April 01, 2006

Sometimes ...

Sometimes I write things I just don't like and no matter how much I try not to think of them, they knaw at me until I delete them. The last two days have been spent fighting with antibiotics. I didn't realise I was having a bad reaction to them, and it has taken 24 hours to begin to recover from them.

I love writing and I wrote knowing I shouldn't be doing it. This impulse to write, and then delete, reminded me of something I read once. You see, most writers have no need of external censorship, they often edit and censor their own writing quite without mercy.

Erica Jong wrote: 'A certain skinlessness goes with the ability to observe and describe feelingss. This does not make for blithe unconsciousness. Writers are doubters, compulsives, self-flagellants. The torture only stops for brief moments.'
from, Fear of Fifty.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Do we get to know what you deleted?

Sometimes I wonder if I'd have the nerve to do a test.....repost what I censor myself and see how it hits the rest of you.

In poetry, less in the blog, I have finally figured out that I have absolutely no idea what I write that is good and what I write that is "awful" (is there an awful??) I spent the last 6 months in a fabulous writing course--where we all traded work online...and that's what hit me----they'd flip at something I would have thrown away, had it not been for the course and a very trusted group of eyes.

just musing!

Di Mackey said...

Deleted ... hmmm, a piece called 'Global conversation' but I still haven't quite captured what I wanted to say, and the other was about me and medicine in other countries ...

Maybe we could email our stuff to each other for that objective outsider view ... :)

I loved that poem you posted and would be more than happy to read more. I posted one of my poems a few days ago ... it lasted about 4 hours, then I took it off again lol, so I know what you mean.

Di Mackey said...

Ms Baker, your comments and posts leave me with a similar smile I suspect. She is marvellous ...

Erin said...

LOL.
PUT THE POEM BACK.

C´mon, you've confessed now. Put it back.

Mine helped got me a plug next to you on George's blog....c´mon!

(Or, ok, we'll do an email poetry trade. :-))

Di Mackey said...

Lol w-w, I hadn't confessed the poem was mine now anyone reading this would know ... anyway, I have since popped over to your site and emailed you via your 'email me' button.