Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Fireworks, Caviar and Giants (August 2005)


Every year, on the first weekend of September, Liberation Day is celebrated here in Antwerpen. They are celebrating their liberation from German occupation during the Second World War. The Americans and Canadians are credited as being the main liberators. I guess the Kiwis were elsewhere ...

Gert had a liberation celebration to attend, with partner, so I dressed up and wandered along too. They have some truly lovely parks here, and this celebration took place in the 130 hectare park near the place I call home in these days.

Although the main focus of my university days was literature (clearly with a view to avoiding any high-paying, high-flying career) I did wander into the political arena, most particularly studying European Union type politics, and to my surprise, I loved it.

Fast-forward 3 years, and where does Di find herself ... at a VIP reception in Belgium, moving amongst political parties at a district level. It was a pure delight, talking not only to local politicians, but to other interesting people. And as if that wasn't enough, this 'caviar virgin' had the opportunity to taste this rumoured delight.

Unfortunately, an interesting person came over to talk with us, and my thoughtful appraisal of this new culinary delight was halted. I had to empty my mouth and reply to a question ... 'fishy and buttery' came to mind, but I'll have to try it again one day soon ... for science, and for my ongoing studies into cultural differences the world round.

The fireworks, well ... we had 20 minutes of spectacular display, with music.

Saturday dawned, Gert and I hopped on our trusty black bicycles and headed off to the District Office, where we were taking photographs of some Liberal Democrats for their political newspaper. This event coincided with the Parade of the Giants.

It seems that every town has a giant or two in local legend, and they're celebrated in parades around the country ... For example, Antwerpen legend has it that, back in the beginning of time, the bend in the River Scheldt (the river that the French dirty then send on down here) was in the hands of the giant Antigoon, who demanded a heavy toll from each passing shipmaster. Those who refused to pay had their hand chopped off. A Roman soldier, Silvius Brabo, actually saved the day by slaying the giant, chopping off his hand and throwing it into the river. Hence 'Handwerpen' or 'hand throwing'. Hmmm, every place has one, two or more giants ... as you will see.

The giants bemused me, and one gave me a terrible fright, as I looked up from taking a photo to see a giant Huskie dog-thing rolling towards me to shake my hand ... but of course.

Life goes on, here in Antwerpen, and I can't say it's been dull

No comments: