Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Writing from Naples ...

Stressed by all I had done and some bits I had failed to do, I left the apartment a little shaky yesterday morning, really hoping that for the first time in 3 days, the trams would be working properly.

Almost everything on my to-do list was done ...as much as was possible anyway.

The trip to Naples went like this: a tram to the airport shuttle bus in Antwerp city, shuttle bus to Brussels airport, a plane - less than 2 hours to Rome (and 49euro each way), then onto the airport express train - 11 euro and 22 minutes to Rome central station then ... she takes a deep breath, onto the fast train to Naples, well under 2 hours and voila, I arrived in Naples - 11 hours after leaving home.

It looks like another crazy beautiful city, Istanbul-style. The taxi ride seemed like a small ethnographical taste as we drove across the city doing things the Neapolitan way, which was kind of like sitting back and relaxing on a galloping horse.

Tonya met me and drove me up to her mountain-side home and there I was fed delicious American burgers, had my glass filled with Italian red wine and met some really lovely people.

It was a nice beginning.
We're off wandering soon, 25 celsius at 8am.

Ciao from Italy!

2 comments:

parlezvouskiwi said...

Oooooh sounds lovely, despite the mission getting there! Enjoy Italiano-ness, ahhh I love it.

Di Mackey said...

Oh, I am loving it too, Parlezvouskiwi. Lovely to find you here.