Monday, May 19, 2008

A little about books and related things.

I woke at 5am, feeling terribly seedy and not sure what to blame.

I had to cancel my Dendermonde trip and work out how to negotiate my day. It worked out with a little more sleeping and a lot of wedding photography work.

Tomorrow is the day of the x-ray and ultrasound - tonight I turned in the bathroom and twisted my knee in a really special way. I'm moving slowly, hoping I managed to get away with no further injury.

Train strike tomorrow - should be a nightmare as 10s of 1000s come to Antwerp on the train every day and probably more than 100,000 head over to Brussels. The roads will undoubtedly be a disaster as well.

Finished Isabel Allende's The Sum of Our Days . If you're curious about her, I recommend you start out with Paula, which is stunning in another way then head straight in The Sum of ...

I've just started in on a rather interesting book about Naguib Mahfouz.

Reading it is akin to attending a lecture by one of my favourite professor's of literature back home in New Zealand. This man gives sublime lectures ... truly, even if the subject matter doesn't seem interesting.

It was a dark day when I was sent out into the world, degree in hand, to read difficult books alone, without his notes.

No comments: