Thursday, June 14, 2007

In the interests of maintaining civil order we must ...

The disconnect between reality as opposed to the theory of how a society should run has always fascinated me ...

America's working its way through a disconnect situation at the moment. Belgium plays with it too, as does any country that cracks down on immigrants working illegally.

Why do I say that?

Here you can see the results of some public figure, usually a politician looking for a solid election platform, applying a constructed law to the reality of everyday life: Border crackdowns had already made it harder for employers in Painesville (America) to find workers this year.

The raids infuriated Larry Secor, a third-generation farmer who is short of labor for his tree, flower and fruit farm.

"The public in this country has no idea who's feeding them," said Secor, 50, as he sorted fruit at his roadside store.

"People already complain that strawberries are $4 a quart. Do they want it to be $10?" he said. "If you don't let these people come over here you'll get food from the same place we get our oil -- overseas."


The suggestion that immigrants take American jobs and lower U.S. wages angered Secor further.

"Americans are not raising their kids to work on their knees in the fields. My daughter's in college -- she's not going to be a farmer," he said.


But it's not only about that, it's about ignoring human nature. America was first populated by the Indian, then later by the world. It's as if the powers that be are now saying, forget human nature, migration was for other times, in the 21st century it's illegal, controlled, an unnatural act.

But a wise man in Spain said it simply: The direction is changing, but migration will always exist," says Pater Andres, "after all, migrating in times of need is a fundamental right of free human beings."

And perhaps it's more than a fundamental right, maybe it's a fundamental need because humans have been moving forever.

Sometimes I wonder if I missed something ... did God or some other omniscient figure hand each 'country' a legal deed entitling only that particular ethnic group the right of habitation and land ownership?

We live in interesting times where more than a few people reading this post have ancestors who immigrated, colonised or simply moved countries. Buying or taking land from earlier inhabitants and making it their own ... back then when God hadn't quite handed out those land ownership deeds.

9 comments:

Mark J said...

Although I dont always agree with you, I appreciate your conviction - and the undeniable right of all of us to say what we all feel, without fear of (cough) conviction. :)

On a more serious note I would be interested in your "take" on the current issues between hamas and fatah. I honestly dont know enough about the situation to comment.

Di Mackey said...

It's not so much about a conviction Mark, it's more a question about the disconnect between the reality of cheap labour and it's source ... it's more about my experience in life, it's more about my observations over time.

Britain has already acknowledged the reality of the way illegal immigrants help keep their economy strong. It was fascinating to research.

As for the Palestinian situation ... no, freedom of speech isn't that real. I know what I understand and I don't think I need to push it out here on the blog. Rather than research, it seems people oftentimes wait for an researched opinon to take down and argue over. Who needs that.

It was a stretch for me to put the American farmer's point out there. I only did it because I had read the same thing said here in Belgium. They brought in the Italians, Moroccans and Turks to do they work Belgians didn't want to do more than a few years ago.

I have 3 friends I value and all of them find my 'take' on things mostly unpalatable. If people are interested, they can research it themselves ... :)

Anonymous said...

Immigration has always lead to problems, but always to opportunities as well. These days Western countries, and certainly Western European countries, face a population which is shrinking, yet the job market which stays the same, this means jobs but nobody to fill them. Poor people are a reality and poor people always go where the money is. We the Flemish, during our poorer days were like the Irish, and we spread out all around the world. We always integrate and now no one of those immigrants have a clue that they are Flemish. Just look at Wallonia, so many Flemish, all defending the Walloon point of view. Now, the direction has indeed turned, Flanders is one of the world's top spots and everyone wants to come here. We should feel honoured and blessed and maybe in one hundred years, these newly immigrants will defend Flemish points of view. I know Di will one day, when she's back in New Zealand, she'll be yapping on and on about how good food tastes in Belgium. And if she doesn't, Mark, just kick her ass :D

Mark J said...

Ooops I made a mistake - some of the comments above were meant to be about your Harrison flowers post - hence my confusion in your answer :)

So after that cock-up I should explain I was commenting about the bit where you said "I remember watching this war on television, and like so many New Zealanders so far from the war, we couldn't understand why Europe didn't protect anyone ..."

I was wondering if you were any closer to understanding what was happening in Palistine - given your unique position of being closer to the problem geographically speaking.

No need to answer - I just felt the need to clear that up :)

Di Mackey said...

Hmmm, what's this ... an unholy alliance based on mocking forming between you and Mark, Manic?

Interesting comment anyway, thanks.

Ahhhh I see now Mark. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I've offended people with my ideas about one or two things and the Palestinian/Israeli situation was possibly top on that list ...

I had done wide-ranging research over time but I'm not willing to hold a public opinion on it anymore.

Sincerely,
Di McChicken ;)

Anonymous said...

Di, on the "not willing to hold a public opinion" issue: I also noticed that posting a clear but outspoken opinion on highly controversial topics can sometimes have most disturbing drawbacks.

As soon as voicing a non-popular/controversial opinion started attracting abusive comments on my blog (and trust me, I've had more than my share) I just quit posting about these issues.

OK, it may sound "Mc Chicken", but then again, what's the point in trying to rebut 20+ abusive comments? I'd rather spend the time having a drink near a pool during the warm days of summer :-)

Finding a middle ground appears rather complex: I obviously want to avoid becoming one of those fluffy, bite-size 'sweet nothings" blogs, while voicing a moderate-controversial opinion that does not incite all the planet nut cases to start posting hate-comments.

Not an easy job.

Di Mackey said...

You captured the problem exactly when you wrote 'I obviously want to avoid becoming one of those fluffy, bite-size 'sweet nothings" blogs, while voicing a moderate-controversial opinion that does not incite all the planet nut cases to start posting hate-comments.'

I'm interested in everything and would love to post freely but that's simply not always possible, is it.

Still, the Gaza tunnels by a respected journalist was a story that had to be passed on.

Anonymous said...

Di McChicken, why do you make it so easy for me, Di?

Di Mackey said...

Because, McManic I'm good and kind and gentle ... (modest too).