Friday, May 19, 2006

Kevin Sites on Yubaraj Khakada's Nepalese Life

Kevin Sites is reporting from Nepal these days ... showing a side to the city that I hadn't considered.

Fourteen-year-old Yubaraj works around the clock parking cars in Katmandu. For his family it's survival - for him, a kind of suicide by exhaust fumes. "I start at 10 a.m. and I usually have to work until 10 p.m. to make the 820," he says. "Then I can start earning for myself."

Yubaraj says he makes about 2,500 rupees a month, about $33, but sends two-thirds of it back to his family. The rest he uses to pay for a small room in a hotel where he lives with a couple of older boys.

He washes his own clothes and usually eats two meals a day of rice, beans and curry at the hotel.

"At first, I used to get lonely," he says, "but now I'm used to it."

No comments: