Monday, March 27, 2006

Exiles as Poets

I was looking for a poem by Kapka Kassabova and found her website ... She wrote, I'm a poet, travel writer, novelist, and professionally displaced person. I was born in Sofia, Bulgaria in 1973, studied French and linguistics in New Zealand, and since moving to New Zealand have also lived in France and Germany. Although I find myself living in Britain at the moment, New Zealand remains my permanent base and the place which transformed me from a migrant into a traveller, from a double citizen into a cultural hybrid.

I left over 200 books back in New Zealand, sometimes I wish it was as simple as catching a taxi across the ocean to get the ones that I need. I can't find her poem 'All Roads Lead to the Sea' online and I need to stop searching ... I realised I was reading down sideroads, the clue was finding myself immersed in this interview with Mourid Barghouiti.

No comments: